Friday, December 4, 2009

Winter Children Images




I've been quite busy as of late, as I'm sure most everyone is, afterall, tis the season. :)

One of the issues we've been dealing with is a depressed little girl. I pray she somehow snaps out of this and her mood improves soon, as this has been an issue since at least the start of this school year and is now evidently serious depression as it's increased daily to the point of her crying nearly all day and night, not wanting to go to school (daily), believing she is sick every day - headache, muscle/joint pains, upset stomach, crying to the point of throwing up phlym every morning, etc. I took her to the doctor a couple weeks ago and there is nothing medically wrong and they discourage medication for such in children, so counseling is the route we are trying. I have her talking with a school counselor/psychologist and she also speaks with the school principal whenever she feels the need, and I'm doing everything I know of to try to help her, but it's so difficult - hard for the entire family. I'll be talking with a child psychologist this upcoming week to see if there is something different I could do to try to alleviate her problem and start to feel better. If only it were as easy as flipping a switch. I do know however, that putting up the tree and letting her do most of the decorating last night helped her mood at least temporarily. She's also excited that she gets to help me tomorrow - just her and I - at the next craft show I have. Hopefully she has a good day with me and we make lots of good sales, as whatever I make from these upcoming shows is going towards the kids Christmas presents.
During the past two days we have started getting some snow flurries, so it's beginning to look and feel a bit more like Christmas. I hope we have at least a few inches of snow to cover the ground by Christmas, as right now it's a slight scattering that's actually stuck to the ground. Jacob is at the age this year that he is taking in all the holiday and seasonal sights and loves it! He wants to eat the snow, loves all the Christmas lights and was intrigued when I brought the fresh cut tree into the house the other night. Such a fun age - I know he's going to have fun Christmas morning this year! :) Hopefully Santa can find that train that he knows will make him oh soo happy! (Santa's got to get shopping, and hopefully will be doing so next weekend).
Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

4 comments:

Hopemore Studio said...

Stacey, It sounds like you are doing all the right things for your daughter, mine are still to young but but I do have that fear that those pre-teen & teenage years will be challenging.
While I don't know how old she is I can share this experience with you- I have a friend whose son (while in 5th grade) couldn't get out the car each day to go into school...he was so overwhelmed with emotions...it was truly traumatic for him (and her). They sought out counseling, had help from teachers and the principal. Two years later he is now well adjusted and progressing. I pray the same works out for your little girl.

Angie

Teresa aka Tess said...

I am so sorry to hear about your daughters depression. I honestly felt while reading that you were describing panic attacks. I am glad she is taking counseling and I hope someone has thought to teach her breathing techniques to calm herself. My granddaughter now sees a counselor twice a week (parent separation anxiety/anger towards daddy being gone) and it is helping. He taught her when she is getting into trouble or feeling picked on or unloved for whatever reason she needs to slowly breath in through her nose and out through her mouth. We had to practice this today as she kept interrupting during shopping, and suddenly decided she had to know why I don't want her to join Girl Scouts, which is far from the truth. I hope the holiday season will cheer your little gal and bring her spirits up. A daily call around lunch time may help too as this helped Raven to know that mommy was still at home waiting for her.
Blessings to you all.

Stacey said...

Thanks for the comments and prayers! I truly appreciate it!

Amazingly this week has turned for the better! At last she isn't crying constantly! She's only 8 and I can't stand to see her so sad, but I think she's coming out of it at last. Hopefully it continues and going to spend the weekend with her dad doesn't upset her emotions once again. We'll see how she is when she comes home to me Monday after school. Thanks again! :) ~Stacey

sanjeet said...

It was so overwhelmed with emotions.
Adsense Alternative